Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Waking Life


I suppose its fitting. I wanted to recommend a movie, so sat in front of the DVD collection to see what I could whole-heartedly stand beside as a great movie. My hand flinched to The Dude a few times, you know, some White-Russian-drinking bowling shenanigans, rugs really tying the room together and all that stuff. Of course classic and brilliant.

But then I spotted Richard Linklater's Waking Life. Good old RTE, it was another sterling choice random viewing, probably in the small hours of RTE2's stoner programming. But it made quite an impact at the time, and made it into the DVD library.
Its fitting because my first movie recommendation is about as far as a regular movie as you may be accustomed to. In fact, it can really only be put into the sub-set of a 'film'.
If you've ever wondered:
how you know you're not dreaming right now?
how can any of the choices you make actually make any difference in the world?does anyone else ever think some of the fucked up things that have ran through your head?
what the hell is it all about anyway?

I hope that clears it up anyway! Just watch the movie . . . er, film. Highly recommended. The soundtrack is also amazing.

[Waking Life, written and directed by Richard Linklater 2001]

No comments: